The Board of Pilot Commissioners for the Bays of San Francisco, San Pablo, and Suisun
Upcoming Board and Committee Meetings:
- Monthly Board Meeting Schedule for 2019: 2019 Schedule
- February 20, 2019, Pilot Evaluation Committee: Agenda
- February 26, 2019, Pilot Fitness Committee: Agenda
- February 28, 2019, Board Meeting: Agenda
- 2019 Pilot Trainee Training Program Selection Exam Information (NEW!)
- The Board of Pilot Commissioners is please to present the “San Francisco Bar Pilot Fatigue Study” prepared by Dr. Alan Hobbs of the San Jose State University Research Foundation, based at the NASA Ames Research Center, and in collaboration with Dr. Erin Flynn-Evans of the NASA Ames Fatigue Countermeasures Laboratory. This study examines the effect of work and rest periods on physiological and psychological ability and safety for maritime pilots licensed by the Board of Pilot Commissioners.
- The Board of Pilot Commissioners Annual Legislative Report for 2017 is now available.
- The Board of Pilot Commissioners has received a “Bar Pilot Job Analysis Report” dated November 2016 that was conducted by the Test Validation and Construction Program of the California Department of Human Resources. The report will be utilized in the preparation of the next Pilot Trainee Training Program selection examination to be given in June 2017.
- The Board of Pilot Commissioners Pilot Fitness Committee is pleased to present a study titled “Pilot Fitness Study for the Board of Pilot Commissioners for the Bays of San Francisco, San Pablo, and Suisun” prepared by Dr. Robert Kosnik, M.D. of the University of California San Francisco Medical Center. The study is the product of Dr. Kosnik’s extensive research and the results of a series of public workshops conducted by the Committee that commenced on April 16, 2009. We believe the study and its recommendations will be of great value to the Board as it considers advances in pilot fitness standards and oversight. While the Board may not adopt every recommendation contained in the study, its various Committees will use this to guide them in developing future policy. Former Pilot Fitness Committee Chairman, Captain Steve Roberts, would like to express his appreciation to Dr. Kosnik for his work, and to the subject matter experts who are his colleagues on the Pilot Fitness Committee and who contributed so much to the success of the endeavor – Brigadier General Chester Ward (U.S. Army, Retired), M.D., and Mrs. Barbara A. Price, a member of the Board of Trustees of the Alameda County Medical Center.
The Board of Pilot Commissioners for the Bays of San Francisco, San Pablo, and Suisun (the BOPC) is the oversight body that licenses and regulates up to 60 maritime pilots who make up the San Francisco Bar Pilots. The Board’s responsibilities include training, licensing, incident investigation and rate determination. For more information about Board statutes, click the Links tab. The BOPC was established in California’s first Legislative Session. It has been in continuous existence since 1850, making it the oldest Commission in California. Originally an independent state agency, on January 1, 2009, it became a department of the Business, Transportation, and Housing Agency, which has responsibility for the movement of goods throughout the state of California. On July 1, 2013, the Business Transportation and Housing Agency was subsequently re-organized as the California State Transportation Agency. The BOPC is “tax neutral.” All of its expenses are paid for by the shipping industry through surcharges on pilotage fees and not by state or local taxes.
Board of Pilot Commissioners For the Bays of San Francisco, San Pablo, and Suisun
660 Davis Street
San Francisco, CA 94111
TEL (415) 397-2253
FAX (415) 397-9463