The Board of Pilot Commissioners for the Bays of San Francisco, San Pablo, and Suisun
Upcoming Board and Committee Meetings:
- Monthly Board Meeting Schedule: Board Calendar 2022
- Selection Appeal Committee, August 9, 2022 (1:30 p.m.)
- Pilot Evaluation Committee, August 17, 2022
- Pilot Boat Advisory Committee, August 18, 2022
- Pilot Boat Advisory Agenda
- Pilot Boat Advisory Committee Documents
- Board Meeting, August 25, 2022
- Board-Agenda (Amended)
- Board Meeting Documents
- Job Posting: Assistant Director (NEW)
- Rulemaking Notice – Trainee Regulations updates. More information here. (Updated 5/18/2022)
- The Board of Pilot Commissioners Annual Legislative 2021 Report is now available.
- The Board of Pilot Commissioners is pleased to present the “San Francisco Bar Pilot Fatigue Study” prepared by Dr. Alan Hobbs of the San Jose State University Research Foundation, based at the NASA Ames Research Center, and in collaboration with Dr. Erin Flynn-Evans of the NASA Ames Fatigue Countermeasures Laboratory. This study examines the effect of work and rest periods on physiological and psychological ability and safety for maritime pilots licensed by the Board of Pilot Commissioners.
- The Board of Pilot Commissioners has received a “Bar Pilot Job Analysis Report” dated November 2016 that was conducted by the Test Validation and Construction Program of the California Department of Human Resources. The report will be utilized in the preparation of future Trainee Training Program selection examinations.
- The Board of Pilot Commissioners Pilot Fitness Committee is pleased to present a study titled “Pilot Fitness Study for the Board of Pilot Commissioners for the Bays of San Francisco, San Pablo, and Suisun” prepared by Dr. Robert Kosnik, M.D. of the University of California San Francisco Medical Center. The study is the product of Dr. Kosnik’s extensive research and the results of a series of public workshops conducted by the Committee that commenced on April 16, 2009.
The Board of Pilot Commissioners for the Bays of San Francisco, San Pablo, and Suisun (the BOPC) is the oversight body that licenses and regulates up to 60 maritime pilots who make up the San Francisco Bar Pilots. The Board’s responsibilities include training, licensing, incident investigation and rate determination. For more information about Board statutes, click the Links tab. The BOPC was established in California’s first Legislative Session. It has been in continuous existence since 1850, making it the oldest Commission in California. Originally an independent state agency, on January 1, 2009, it became a department of the Business, Transportation, and Housing Agency, which has responsibility for the movement of goods throughout the state of California. On July 1, 2013, the Business Transportation and Housing Agency was subsequently re-organized as the California State Transportation Agency. The BOPC is “tax neutral.” All of its expenses are paid for by the shipping industry through surcharges on pilotage fees and not by state or local taxes.