Pilot Trainee Training Program
The Board of Pilot Commissioners administers a maritime pilot training program. Graduates of the program become Board-licensed maritime pilots. Entrance into the program is via a selection examination.
Before submitting an application: The minimum requirements for entrance into the Pilot Trainee Training Program, are outlined in California Code of Regulations, Title 7, Subsection 213. Applicants who do not meet the minimum qualifications will not be admitted to the examination.
2019 Pilot Trainee Training Program Selection Examination
The next Pilot Trainee Training Program Selection Examination was held in June 2019 at the California State University Maritime Academy (Cal Maritime) in Vallejo, California.
- 2019 Trainee Exam Ranked List (Updated 6/1/2021)
- 2019 Pilot Trainee Validation Report
- 2019 Trainee Program Application
- Trainee-Applicant-Handbook (updated on 1/16/2019)
- 2019 Trainee Exam Press Release
- How to Become a Pilot Trainee – Frequently asked questions
- 2019 Trainee Written Exam Reference List
- 2019 Trainee Exam Simulator Orientation Video