Pilot Trainee Training Program
The Board of Pilot Commissioners administers a maritime pilot training program. Graduates of the program become Board-licensed maritime pilots. Entrance into the program is via a selection examination.
2019 Pilot Trainee Training Program Selection Examination
The next Pilot Trainee Training Program Selection Examination is scheduled for June 2019 at California State University Maritime Academy (Cal Maritime) in Vallejo, California. The written exam will be offered on June 3, 2019, with the simulator exam offered on June 5 (orientation), 6, 7, and 8 (if necessary), 2019. The application cut-off date is April 1, 2019.
2019 Pilot Trainee Training Selection Examination Information:
- 2019 Trainee Program Application
- Trainee-Applicant-Handbook (updated on 1/16/2019)
- 2019 Trainee Exam Press Release
- How to Become a Pilot Trainee – Frequently asked questions
- 2019 Trainee Written Exam Reference List
Before submitting an application: The minimum requirements for entrance into the Pilot Trainee Training Program, are outlined in California Code of Regulations, Title 7, Subsection 213. Applicants who do not meet the minimum qualifications will not be admitted to the examination.
Prior (2017) Pilot Trainee Training Selection Examination Information:
- Selection Examination Ranked List (Updated 02/22/2019)
- 2017 Trainee Program Selection Examination Validation Report
Board of Pilot Commissioners For the Bays of San Francisco, San Pablo, and Suisun
660 Davis Street
San Francisco, CA 94111
TEL (415) 397-2253
FAX (415) 397-9463